Temporary tattoos can last three weeks, then they come off on their own. But, what if you want to take them off right away? Let’s discuss how to get temporary tattoos off.
Well, olive oil, baby oil, and coconut oil can do the trick!
Temporary tattoos can look like real tattoos. They can look so realistic that you can’t sometimes tell the difference between them and real ones. Temporary tattoos come in different designs, sizes, and colors that’s why they are popular amongst kids and now adults too!
Also, some try them out before getting the real deal. Temporary or fake tattoos can be easily removed, unlike henna tattoos. You can actually remove fake tattoos using products you can easily find around the house.
What Are the Common Products Used To Remove Temporary Tattoos?
- Goo Gone
- Olive Oil
- Mouthwash with Peroxide
- Baby Oil
- Nail Polish Remover
- Makeup Remover
- Waterproof Sunscreen Lotion
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Hair Dye Remover
- Scotch Tape
- Baby Wipes
How to Remove a Temporary Tattoo
Removing temporary tattoos can be a breeze using the right products. However, some temporary tattoo brands are adamant in their warnings. They are harder to remove and trying to forcibly remove them might even irritate your skin.
Typically, temporary tattoos can be removed using soap and water. Others, need specific products to safely and completely get rid of them.
Oil-based products are widely used in removing fake tattoos because they are efficient in taking away foreign particles on the skin. Moreover, temporary tattoos are mostly water-based, so using only water and soap can’t break them down. Oil-based products, on the other hand, are recommended.
Most Common Oil-Based Products Used in Removing Fake Tattoos
- Olive oil
- Baby oil
- Coconut oil
How To Remove Temporary Tattoos Using Oil-Based Products?
- Spread the oil evenly onto the tattoo.
- Then, make sure to cover up all the edges.
- After, leave it for a few minutes. It’ll give the oil the time to break the tattoo adhesives down.
- Use a cotton pad or towel to remove the oil and tattoo particles.
- Next, wash the area with warm water.
- Lastly, apply moisturizer.
How To Remove Temporary Tattoos By Exfoliating?
Exfoliating can remove temporary tattoos too. You can even use your daily exfoliating scrub, perhaps, even make your own?
Ingredients for DIY Exfoliating Scrub for Fake Tattoos
- ½ cup of powdered brown sugar
- ½ cup of coconut oil or olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of instant coffee powder
- First, mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Then, store it in an airtight container.
- Next, slightly wet your fake tattoo.
- After, apply a small amount evenly.
- Gently rub the mixture in a coiling motion.
- Do it for at least 40 seconds.
- Then, rinse the area with cold water.
- Lastly, pat to dry.
How To Remove Fake Tattoos Using Mouthwash?
Regular mouthwash can extract temporary tattoos. Apart from killing germs, mouthwash can remove stubborn tattoo specks.
- First, apply a small amount to the tattoo.
- Then, gently rub it until the tattoo peels off.
- Lastly, wash it off using room temperature water.
How To Remove Temporary Tattoos Using Nail Polish Remover?
Nail polish removers have acetone or at least most of them. Acetone is a chemical that can dissolve various substances, thus, it makes a good alternative for removing fake tattoos. But remember it is quite harsh and you must be careful when using it. Consult your doctor if you are unsure.
Nail Polish Remover Method
- First, dab a small amount onto a cotton ball.
- Then, slowly pat it on the tattoo.
- Wait until the nail polish remover has broken down the specks.
- Lastly, wipe it off with a clean towel or tissue.
How To Remove Temporary Tattoos Using Cold Cream?
Cold cream is typically used for removing make-up, but, it can also serve another purpose. Due to its rich emulsion properties, cold cream can easily remove temporary tattoos.
Cold Cream Method
- First, evenly apply cold cream to the tattoo.
- Then, leave it for one minute.
- Using a soft cloth, rub off the tattoo with a cloth.
- Next, massage the area in a circular motion for a minute.
- Lastly, wipe the excess off with a clean cloth.
How To Remove Temporary Tattoos Using Rubbing Alcohol?
Rubbing alcohol can abolish fake tattoos naturally. Although it is used mainly for disinfection, alcohol is a good alternative. However, if you have extra sensitive skin, rubbing alcohol is not recommended.
Rubbing Alcohol Method
- First, dip the cotton ball into the alcohol.
- Then, gently rub it onto your skin.
- Repeat the process if necessary.
- After thoroughly taking off the fake tattoo, wipe it with a clean cloth.
How To Remove Fake Tattoos Using Makeup Remover?
Make-up removers have solutions that reduce colored pigments. It can break down specks easily without leaving any debris. That’s why acetone is another recommended solution for removing temporary tattoos.
Make-Up Remover Method
- Saturate the fake tattoo with make-up remover.
- Then, gently rub it until it breaks down.
- Lastly, wash it off with cool water.
How to Remove Kids’ Temporary Tattoos Painlessly?
Temporary tattoos are loved by kids because it is something fun and colorful they can play with. That is why fake tattoos are popular at themed kids’ parties. Children love to cover themselves with anything colorful and quirky they get a grab on. The challenge, however, is getting temporary tattoos off their delicate skin.
Removing temporary tattoos can be painful for kids. Here are some helpful tips to remove those fake tattoos gently:
Use Baby Wipes
Baby wipes are efficient in removing dirt, plus, they are also mild and less invasive. By simply rubbing the baby wipes gently onto the kid’s skin, the temporary tattoo will disappear after a few attempts.
Use Scotch Tape
Scotch Tape Method:
- Cut a couple of inches of clear tape.
- Make it the same size as the tattoo, if available.
- Press the tape onto the skin.
- Then, slowly pull it up.
- Repeat the process until the fake tattoo is completely removed.
Use Hair Spray
Hair sprays are a kid-friendly option. It contains compounds that can help remove either new or weeks-old temporary tattoos.
Hair Spray Method
- Spray the temporary tattoo with hair spray.
- Let it dry for a couple of minutes.
- Use a towel to wipe off the ink.
- Then cleanse it with soap and water.
Use Baby Oil or Coconut Oil
Oil-based solutions are best suited for kids due to their mild quality. Also, it helps in moisturizing the skin to prevent any irritation.
- Soak the cloth into the oil. Put as much as you want.
- Then, apply mild pressure onto the skin while holding the cotton.
- Leave it for about a minute.
- After, rub the oil in a circular motion.
- Lastly, after the fake tattoo is dispersed, wash it off with water.
Use Rubbing Alcohol
Rubbing alcohol is another go-to fake tattoo removal. It can break down the temporary tattoo quickly, however, it might sting a little.
Rubbing Alcohol Method
- Deluge the cotton ball or cloth in alcohol.
- Make sure a good amount is absorbed.
- Then, apply it to the skin.
- Gently rub in a circular motion.
Use Makeup Remover
Make-up removers are generally safe, given the fact that it is used on the face. A cream or liquid make-up remover can work fine in removing temporary tattoos.
Make-Up Remover Method
- Drench a cloth or cotton in make-up remover.
- Evenly spread it out through the tattoo.
- Then, leave for a couple of minutes to penetrate.
- After, wipe it off with a clean cloth.
How To Soothe Your Skin After Temporary Tattoo Removal?
Apply A Cold Compress
Applying a cold compress is the best way for quick relief. Simply apply an ice pack or cold compress to the inflamed area. Repeat the process at least twice a day.
Try The Baking Soda Solution
There is no scientific evidence that baking soda can cure inflamed skin. This suggestion is solely based on vloggers who have tried it, and of course, succeeded.
The method is simply applying a paste of baking soda and water that is assumed to soothe irritated skin. Then, after a few minutes of application, wash it off with cool water.
Apply Fresh Aloe Vera, Aloe Vera Gel, or Aloe Vera Oil
Aloe vera is known to soothe the skin and also efficient in alleviating redness and irritation. A fresh aloe vera juice or aloe vera gel can help do the trick.
Alleviate Irritation With Oats
Oatmeal is a natural solution that can soothe itching, swelling, and irritation. It can also leave the skin smooth, damage-free, and moisturized.
- Mix one teaspoon of ground oatmeal and coconut milk.
- Apply the mixture to the treatment area.
- Then, leave it for five minutes.
- After, wash it off with cool water.
Moisturize The Skin
Moisturizers can hydrate the skin and also help decrease itching and irritation. A thin coat of moisturizer can help ease the discomfort of dry skin after temporary tattoo removal.
So, How To Remove Temporary Tattoos? – Conclusion
Temporary tattoos have a much lesser risk of regrets in contrast to real tattoos and the best thing, is they are only temporary!
It doesn’t hurt to apply them nor to remove them, there is no pain involved and they are fun to play with. If you are skeptical about getting a real tattoo, a fake tattoo can be a good place to start.
Removing fake tattoos is generally easy and they peel off on their own in a matter of weeks. They can also easily be removed by using several solutions we have around the home.
Happy Fake Tattooing!