Let’s all admit it: Painting is fun! There’s just something relaxing about being able to put brush to canvas and seeing your creativity unfold. But what do you do when you’re worried about the side effects of artificial paint? The answer is simple: Make it yourself!
Why Homemade Paint
Painting has, and will always be, a very important pastime. No matter what the age, you will always have that urge to grab a brush and go wild. The people at verycreate.com believe that people have a deep seated need to express themselves and connect with other people by creating tangible things with their hands. But with the scare of what synthetic material can do to your health, many enthusiasts are looking for healthier and alternative ways to help them unleash their creativity.
There are many benefits to using homemade paint instead of store-bought, which can be toxic and dangerous to anyone exposed to them, especially young kids. Not only are these homemade paints better for you, they are also easy for anyone to mess around with, cheaper and can be very fun to make. All the supplies you need to make these are either commonly found household items or available at grocery stores everywhere.
Using this recipe, you can make green, yellow, red, orange and purple paint. For green you can use spinach, saffron for yellow, beets for red, carrots for orange and finally red cabbage for purple. This recipe is for dry fruits and vegetables that can’t be mashed. It is so easy, anyone can do it. If you have children, this is child friendly and can be an easy activity you can do together.
The steps are:
- Add boiling water to the fruit or vegetable
- Press and smash the fruit or vegetable using the back of a spoon
- Strain the juice
- To every teaspoon of fruit or vegetable dye, add 6 teaspoons of powdered sugar
- Note: The more water you add, the more diluted the color will be at the end, so don’t add too much.
The second recipe is very similar to the first; there are very few differences. This one’s for fruits and vegetables that can be easily mashed and don’t require boiling water to make juice. You can use this recipe to make red paint using strawberries, grenade seeds or raspberries.
The steps are:
- Add the finely chopped fruit or vegetable to a strainer and mash them with a spoon.
- To every teaspoon of the dye, add 6 teaspoons of powdered sugar
If you are using powders, then this is the recipe you should use. You can make brown paint, using powdered coffee or a dark yellow using powdered turmeric. The more coffee or turmeric you use, the darker your paint will be.
The steps are:
- Dissolve the powdered coffee or powdered turmeric in warm water
- To every teaspoon of coffee or turmeric dye, add 6 teaspoons of powdered sugar.
- Note: make sure the water you use isn’t too hot or too cold.
You have no excuses now
Now you know how to make your own paint at home, using nothing but ingredients you can easily find in your kitchen. All these recipes are environmentally friendly because you don’t use any synthetic materials. As a bonus, you can even recycle fruits and vegetables that are about to go bad. Instead of leaving them to rot in your kitchen, now you can make paint out of them.