One of the best things about hair today is that there really are no rules. Anything goes when it comes to hair color and style. Gone are the days of boring and conservative hair colors. And purple hair is about as good as it gets!
One of the best things about purple hair is that it doesn’t have to be over the top. You can add some dark purple highlights to your dark brunette hair for a subtle look. Or if you are looking for a fun new look, you can get creative with different shades of purple.
From soft lilac highlights to purple ombre to blue and purple balayage, there are countless options for purple hair!
Here are some tips for dying your hair purple. If you don’t think you can master this look on your own, it is always best to get it done by a professional. But if you are skilled with coloring your hair, we have some tips to help you pull of purple hair beyond a doubt!
Tips for Dying Your Purple Hair
Before you dye your hair:
- If your hair is on the darker side, you should bleach it before you dye it. This will ensure that the color will take. It is best to wait at least 24 hours after bleaching your hair before dyeing it your desired color. Before you bleach your hair, condition it with coconut oil for a few days so your hair will be hydrated.
- It is always a good idea to apply a hair mask to your hair to keep it from drying out.
- If you are going for an ombre fade with multiple colors, it may take several trips to the salon (or several days at home) to get the achieved effect.
- Wash your hair a few days before you color it and do not apply any products. Let your hair get oily before you color it (especially before you bleach it) Coconut oil in an exception as it will help your hair hold the color without it drying out.
After you dye your hair:
- Only wash your hair once or twice a week to keep it from fading. Use a color safe dry shampoo if needed.
- Using shampoos and conditioners that are designed specifically for purple hair.
- Add a few drops of your hair color to your conditioner to refresh your hair color.
- Wear a swim cap when swimming so chlorine won’t dry out your hair or fade your color. As well, wear a hat when outdoors to protect your hair from the sun.
- Avoid using heat on your hair as much as possible. Allow your hair to air dry to keep the color from fading faster.
- Keep your hair conditioned otherwise it will dry out. Leave-in conditioner that are safe for colored hair are your best friend.
Check out these hot looks for purple hair:
Black and Electric Purple Ombre Fade for Long Wavy Hair
This look is great if you want to embrace your goth or emo side. Start off with a dark root, such as dark brown or black and then blend in different shades of purple from a deep electric purple to an eggplant purple You can go for a balayage blend or opt for a fun ombre fade. Either way, this stunning blend of purples on a dark canvas will make you stand out from the crowd!
Lilac Hair with Cute Space Buns
Lilac hair is taking the fashion world by storm. This shade if more delicate and feminine if you are going for a softer look. And it looks super cute with this shoulder-length cut with adorable space buns!
Purple and Blue Balayage Beach Waves
Not sure if you prefer blue or purple hair? Why not have the best of both worlds? As your stylist for a gorgeous blend of electric blue and dark purple hues mixed in with your natural dark brown hair for a stunning canvas that is out of this world. And it looks spectacular on a flowing mane of sexy, loose beach waves!
Think you’re ready to try one of these amazing looks for purple hair? Call your colorist today to book an appointment and get ready to be the center of attention with your stunning purple tresses!