The roof of our house is basically the structure that keeps us protected. So, our roof is the umbrella that covers the four walls of our house protecting it from sunlight, rain, storm, hail and multiple other external threats and so on. So, it is important that we have a sturdy and reliable roof over our heads for this purpose.
Now, there are a number of different types of roof materials ranging from asphalt to concrete, to wood and so on. However, for the sake of this article, we will be focusing solely on metal roofing and whether or not it will work for you. Metal roofing may not be the number one choice of roofing material for people, but it works really well for some people and some areas. So, if you happen to be interested, you should look into a reliable metal roofing company in Melbourne Florida and get some advice from them.
A good roof is supposed to be sturdy, so it should be able to withstand different forces of the elements. This includes all kinds of weather conditions and other kinds of pressure. Apart from being sturdy, it should also be long-lasting. There is no point spending a lot of money on a roof only for it to go bad or for it to need a replacement within 6-8 years. So, you want to take your time to do your research into different material options for roofs, and which ones work best in which areas and so on. Ultimately, you want to make sure that the price you pay for the roof pays off in the long run.
Metal roofs at Equity Roofing are just one of the many different options you have when it comes to roofing materials, and even in this case, you can choose between steel, aluminum, and other metals. Now, a metal roof comes with its own sets of advantages and disadvantages, and if you want to learn more about the two, you can keep on reading below:
- One major advantage that comes with metal roofing is that it is actually very durable. So, if you properly take care of and maintain your metal roof, your roof can end up lasting you a very long time. This can go between 12-20 years depending on the choice of material and level of maintenance.
- Metal roofs are actually able to survive harsh weather conditions like rain, snow, wind storms and so on.
- They can also deal with insect infestations, mildew and fire as well. So, they are able to handle a bunch of potential threats really easily.
- A plain metal roof is also considered to be Class A fire-rated if they happen to be made from metal alone. This is because metal does not really “catch” on fire, so they will not combust into flames thanks to their fire-resistant characteristics.
- Installing metal roofs is super quick and easy. This is because metal roof materials come in the form of already prepared sheets, so you just have to lay down the sheets properly. This removes the time it would have otherwise taken to make asphalt or tiled roof.
- Metal roofs also happen to be really lightweight, so that adds into the convenience factor of metal roofing as well.
Now, there are a few disadvantages that are associated with metal roofing as well, and these include:
- Metal roofing is actually relatively more expensive than other roofing materials and depending on the price and specifications of your roof. On average it can end up costing you hundreds of dollars in order to replace it, but that was not the case here.
- Another major disadvantage that is associated with metal roofing is that it can get really loud. This becomes a problem if you happen to live in an area with frequent storm spells or heavy rains because the noise can really end up irritating you. For this reason, you can end up getting sound barriers set up along with your roof beforehand in order to muffle and lower the sounds that might be emitted and possibly heard from your rooftop.
- While metal is considered to be very durable, it is not entirely safe either. Metal roofs have a higher likelihood of being damaged and dented easily. So, if someone is playing ball outside your house and it ends up hitting your roof just a tad bit too forcefully, you will end up with a dent on your roof.
- Taking care of a metal roof can be tricky during wet and/or cold seasons since the roof becomes more exponentially slippery, and this makes it really difficult to get a secure foothold in that scenario. This is why it is advised that you call in a professional so that you do not end up possibly hurting yourself.